I’m really trying my best to be a healthy snacker. I cut up carrots and cucumbers today, and managed to eat them (albeit at 9pm). However sometimes I just want something salty and crunchy, and my go to snack is usually chips or smartfood (both of which I seriously need to ban from my house – I literally have no control when it comes to these foods).
I had heard about kale chips before, but did not bother trying them until I was on the elimination diet – and I realized that I was really missing an amazing thing. These chips are so flavourful and crunchy, ah… I could just go on forever.
Anyway, what’s so amazing is that kale is ridiculously good for you (check out this article here). To summarize however:
1. It’s packed full of vitamins & minerals, fibre, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids –> Doesn’t it seem like a miracle food?
2. It’s great for our immune system
3. It’s anti-inflammatory
4. It’s sustainable
Convinced to try kale out? Yes? Good!
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Heat your oven to 275F
- Rip kale from the stalks and wash (literally as much kale as you want)
- Place the kale on a cookie sheet (on top of parchment paper, this may not be necessary – I’ve never tried it without)
- Drizzle some olive oil on the leaves (not too much, otherwise they’ll get super soggy!)
- Top the leaves with a little bit of sea salt
- Bake the leaves in the oven for 8 minutes – if the kale is still soggy after 8 minutes, bake it longer
Pretty simple right? Have any suggestions for other healthy snacks? What about alternate kale recipes?
PS. I understand that kale is an acquired taste – I fed this to my boyfriend last night, he wasn’t a fan. He did like my taco salad though… I guess we can’t win them all 🙂