Are you interested to learn how Naturopathic Medicine can improve your lifestyle? Come see me at the Robert Schad Naturopathic Clinic. Call 416-498-9763 to book an appointment with Alexsia Priolo – Naturopathic 4th year Intern, beginning May 2014.
Tuesday: 9am to 1pm
Wednesday: 3pm to 7pm
Friday: 11am to 3pm (Pediatrics Focus Shift)
Fees: $41.15 (Adult) and $30.50 (Child/Senior). Prices are exempt from HST.
What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic Medicine is a form of primary health care that can prevent and treat both acute and chronic illnesses, by investigating the root cause of disease. Disease may present itself as a variety of well-defined symptoms (although this may not always be the case), and comes upon based on improper functioning of the body, and lifestyle habits that may interfere with optimal health.
This medicine is focused on the individual, and delves into their current health (physical, emotional, and spiritual), as well as their family history and lifestyle choices. Using this information, a Naturopathic Doctor is able to diagnose their patient and develop an individualistic treatment plan. With the patient, the Naturopathic Doctor works with, and helps stimulate the vitality of the patient in order to treat disease.
Six principles define the practice of Naturopathic Medicine:
- First, to do no harm, by using methods and medicines that minimize the risk of harmful side effects.
- To treat the causes of disease, by identifying and removing the underlying causes of illness, rather than suppressing symptoms.
- To teach the principles of healthy living and preventative medicine, by sharing knowledge with patients and encouraging individual responsibility for health.
- To heal the whole person through individualized treatment, by understanding the unique physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental and social factors that contribute to illness, and customizing treatment protocols to the patient.
- To emphasize prevention, by partnering with the patient to assess risk factors and recommend appropriate naturopathic interventions to maintain health and prevent illness.
- To support the healing power of the body, by recognizing and removing obstacles to the body’s inherent self-healing process
Naturopathic treatment involves a number of modalities that can be tailored to fit individual needs. These include: clinical nutrition, botanical medicine, homeopathic medicine, physical medicine (including manipulations and massage), hydrotherapy, acupuncture, Asian medicine, and lifestyle counselling.